Monday 12 March 2012

Thai Green Curry, A Comfort Food


Is there anything more frustrating than typing out almost an entire post/paper/article...just to realize you made the classic error of not saving because you got swept up in what you were writing, AND never looked to make sure the auto save program was working?  Ha! I did!  All I can do is laugh.........as I rub my forehead, and think...really?  As my nieces would say...really Jenn? Uh Duh! Lol...sigh...okay, marching onward : D

Hold on...let me check to see if it's saving...Aha! Were safe...

Now where was I? Oh Yes...

Thai Green Curry : )  One of the new favorite comfort food dishes we now enjoy in our home.  A few years ago I made the classic mistake we all warn people not to do.  When having company for dinner, don't try out new recipes on them.  It's safer to go with what you know.  Did I follow this wise advice, why no! Of course not, why be practical?  So, I decided to open a Thai Cook Book and see what looked good.





At the time, I was still very very squeamish about taking the little jackets (shells) off of the shrimps for shrimp cocktail to the point where I just couldn't bring myself to do it.  No, I don't have that same problem, thank goodness because I love to eat those beauties.  I had also never heard of most of what was on the list for the chicken Thai green curry dish, and had no idea whether a mango was ripe or not for my homemade mango icecream.  Sigh,  did I mention that this was just three years ago?  How far I have come is amazing to me some days!  I knew lots of course, and then learned I had lots to learn ; )

Thankfully, the dinner was delicious and no one was the wiser.

Thai Green Curry


Kaffir Lime Leaves...I can only find them frozen at the asian market


I find this paste at our local grocer in the ethnic food aisle, usually I am pretty lucky finding it.

I use different brands of coconut milk, right now, this is the only brand our grocer carries.  My cupboard feels empty when there is none on the shelf : ) I like to keep this in stock at home, always!
 
I use to cook jalapeno with the paste and the lime leaves but have since stopped, I like the mild heat and flavor from the paste without adding more.

I go through more of this now than I ever thought possible : )  Again, I buy different brands of fish sauce.

I love it's silky richness
 
I add frozen peas right at the end before serving : )




Delicious with Basmati rice, I add a bay leaf to my rice water when cooking it.

Sooo Goood!
 Cut 2 chicken breasts into chunks or strips and cook in a pan until just done, set aside
In a separate pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil on med. heat
add 2-3 tablespoons green curry paste and 3-4 minced lime leaves, heat for 3 minutes
Add 2 cans coconut milk and stir to combine
Add 2 tablespoons fish sauce
Add 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
Sauce will thicken slightly after simmering for 15 minutes
Add chicken and simmer for 3-5 minutes to allow chicken to get hot
Add 1/2 cup frozen peas and simmer for a few minutes until cooked
Serve with Basmati Rice

Note:  The original recipe from the Thai cookbook included eggplant and there were a few other differences.  It is now packed in storage eight hours from where I am so I can't hunt it down to give it any proper credit, it is also a rather old book.  I will update this once the book is out of storage : )
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...