Friday 16 March 2012

A Peachy Pancake Breakfast


I love breakfast, it's one of my favorite meals of the day.  Breakfast for dinner?  Yes, please : ) Mostly though, I eat breakfast in the morning with the rest of the world.  Breakfast lends itself to a lot of very special dishes, and I admit, I love all of them.

When I get a chance to make something special for breakfast, if there's time, I try...it's a great way to show someone you care.






Something you won't see here, are beautiful stacks of pancakes rising gloriously towards the ceiling, dripping in butter and maple syrup.  Why? Because...I'm cookin' in my kitchen, and really...how many pancakes do we really need to eat?  We top off at two each, and even then, were full.

When they're nice and fluffy as well, they're enough to leave you feeling happy and satisfied.


A Classic American Pancake
Adapted from Joy of Cooking
Yields approx. 16 4-inch pancakes (depends on how big you like 'em)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 3/4 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Whisk all dry ingredients together

In a bowl, combine and mix together
1 1/2 cups cold milk
2-3 tablespoons melted butter
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup of chopped peaches

Mix wet ingredients into the dry mixture and set aside for a few minutes while you heat a non stick pan.  Melt 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter in the hot pan and ladle a spoon of batter into the pan in the size you would like your pancake to be.
Let batter cook until the top is covered with bubbles and the edges are browned.  Flip and let cook only until golden brown on that side. 


Cook until the top air bubbles show on top and edges are brown


Gotta love pure maple syrup, yum
 
I almost didn't get a photo...he was wasting no time in polishing off the pancake : )

My second helping ; )
  You can add anything to this pancake recipe, it is very versatile...it doesn't have to be peaches.  I used peaches as it was what we happened to have that day.  I also love blueberry pancakes : D


On those days when you're really hungry and you have the time...add crisp bacon and cheesy red pepper scrambled eggs on the side, you'll be good for the day! That's a stick to your ribs breakfast for sure : )


Be daring...you can even go savory with this pancake batter : ) pancakes are great filled or rolled and with this basic batter recipe, the skies the limit!
 Thanks for stopping by!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...