Friday 24 February 2012

Tuna Melt



How do you catch a tiger? Why...with a tuna fish sandwich of course ; )









I was thinking I would have a tuna sandwich for lunch.  Just a tuna sandwich...nothing special, nothing to get worked up about.  While I was mixing my capers into the tuna, I couldn't help but wonder to myself...why not?  Why not make it something special?  Something to write home about, eh?  I like to say that every meal is special so why would I so casually dismiss a tuna sandwich as "just" a tuna sandwich?  Not good, nope...so I got some fixin's out. 

I don't know if you have seen the Food Network Show, The Sandwich King hosted by Jeff Mauro...I myself only watched twice and actually fast forwarded through it (ouch, sorry Jeff) but I know he has a line he likes to use, "Make any meal into a sandwich and any sandwich into a meal."  I couldn't help but think of this as I was whipping up my new and improved lunch idea, I actually giggled out loud when it popped into my head.  I watched the Next Food Network Star show and that was how I learned of Jeff Mauro.  But, I digress...this post is about my lunch not Jeff : )

Tuna Melt in your mouth Sandwich

1 can tuna fish (I used Solid White Albacore, low sodium in water)
Mayo to taste (I use Hellmann's Olive Oil Mayonnaise)
1 teaspoon capers
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to taste
10 Baby Spinach Leaves
2 Slices Light Swiss Cheese
2 slices of Rye bread
Unsalted butter

Make your tuna mix:

Combine tuna, mayo and capers, season with pepper

Build your sandwich:

Spread tuna mix on 1 slice of rye bread, cover with spinach leaves, lay two slices of Swiss cheese over the spinach, top with 2nd slice of bread.

Butter one side of the sandwich and place in a hot pan, while grilling, butter the top side of the sandwich, flip over when the bottom is golden brown.

Cut in half and serve, yum : )




It's funny about lighting for photos...this pic above is taken in the front bay window and the top pic is taken in the back bay window.  The difference between direct and indirect sunlight : )  Just a thought...


Buddy got into the act when he heard the tin of tuna being opened, he's my little tiger : ) And he loves tuna fish.

  
Image found at http://weblog.theviewfromthecore.com/2005_11/ind_005186.html
 

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...