Monday 20 February 2012

Mushroom Ragout







JWsMadeWLuvMondays

Mushroom Ragout with Fusilli

For the last couple of weeks I have participated in a challenge put forth by a fellow food blogger.  It's a challenge based on making recipes from scratch with love.  Each Monday he has invited others to join in the fun by linking up their recipes with photos to his blog, Javelin Warrior's Cookin w/ Luv, he calls it "Made with Love Mondays".  It's a great way to not only interact with fellow foodies, but also a fantastic way to see what other people are cookin' up in their kitchens. 




Each and every time I make something I consider it special.  I put time and effort into the planning, and I put consideration and love into the dish while making it.  When that happens it is truly hard not to taste the love sprinkled in with the other seasoning's.  It is the love added to each recipe that gives it, it's full flavor, it is also the idea behind all of Javelin Warrior's recipes and the foundation of his blog.  I have been honored to be a part of this challenge and hope that you take a moment to pop over and browse his site,  I think you'll enjoy the visit and like time spent at any dear friends home, you'll stay longer than you might have planned and will have loved every moment : )  

I had never made a Mushroom Ragout, but with a box of mushrooms in the fridge demanding my attention, I needed to do something with them before it was too late.  This new recipe turned out so fantastic, I truly considered licking my plate clean.  It will definitely be added into the rotation of  recipes made over and over again in my kitchen.  Easy to make, taking little time to prepare, it is an inexpensive recipe to add to your arsenal.  It's also so delicious and elegant that you could easily serve it to company leaving them believing it was a time consuming dish to make. 

So with attention seeking mushrooms in the fridge, being hungry for something for lunch and with Made with Love Mondays made from scratch challenge in mind...I was off and cooking : )


Onion~Garlic~Fresh Rosemary~Mushrooms, what's not to love?


You can use a good quality store bought stock, but with this being a made from scratch challenge...I used my own.

I love to learn new ways to use Balsamic Vinegar.

I was a little worried the small Fusilli was the wrong pasta, but it turned out great.

Any reason to use my new Ricardo Grater is a good one, esp. when using it to grate Parmigiano-Reggiano
It looks so yummy, mix the pasta with the ragout and garnish : )
 
Garnish with fresh parsley or Parmigiano-Reggiano



I love how the sauce gets into the nooks and crannies of the pasta, fusilli was a great choice.
 
It's been a while since I considered licking my plate clean...this was one of those times...
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat
Add and cook until soft and golden, 1 finely chopped onion, remove from pan and set aside
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat using the same pan
Add and cook until they start to release their liquid, 1 pound thickly sliced mushrooms
Add the onion back into the pan with the mushrooms, along with 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic, 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, Salt and Black Pepper to taste
Cook until mushrooms start to brown, 3-4 minutes, Mix in 1 tablespoon tomato paste
Increase heat to high and cook for a few more minutes
Add 1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock/broth or hot water if you don't have any, I used chicken : )
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for ten minutes
Stir in 2 tablespoons cold butter cut into small pieces
Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or Parmesan cheese

I added a bit more butter and a bit more tomato paste.  I used a box of pre-sliced mushrooms I purchased previously and am not sure if it was a pound or not.  I used fresh rosemary and fresh cracked black pepper. 
Otherwise I followed the recipe instructions pretty much as listed, recipe found in The Joy of Cooking, 75th Anniversary.


My previous contributions to "Made with Love Mondays" Challenge

Week 3 ~ Mushroom Ragout

Stop by and check out the other contributors hosted by Javelin Warrior's Cookin w/ Luv

Thanks for reading : )






Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...